Thursday, August 1, 2013

Capitalism for B Students

Back-to-school season is upon us.   In my school days I was adept at absorbing, regurgitating and manipulating the information that was put before me.  That is to say that schoolwork and making grades came relatively easy for me.

But I was also lazy as well as practical.  Good grades were not particularly important for me but I also knew that my parents would be dissatisfied with anything less than a B in each class.     Therefore, at the onset of each semester I made it my business to study the syllabus and determine the minimal effort required to attain the parent-pleasing B grade.

For better or worse, I carried this attitude over into adult life.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m no bum.  However, it was never my ambition to be the tycoon, superstar or master of the universe.  I am not a big risk taker.  But I am glad that others are.

I am thankful that there are intelligent, ambitious and adventurous individuals who create businesses and amass wealth.  I do not envy them a bit.  In fact, I love them because they provide me with the opportunity to serve them, to put in honest day’s work and to earn a comfortable living.  This is how capitalism works for B students, for second tier players like me.

In fact, capitalism also finds places for C, D and F students as well.


In 1988, the Minneapolis punk-band, The Replacements, was opening for Keith Richards on his solo tour.  At the time I remember reading an interview with Replacements’ front man, Paul Westerberg.  The Replacements were notorious for their drunken back-stage and on-stage escapades.  Westerberg, himself a high school dropout, said in the interview that their heroes had always been screw-ups.  It was to this poor choice of role models that he attributed the band’s antics.

However capitalism served this band of drunken, punk screw-ups well.  Capitalist entrepreneurs who owned night clubs, who owned concert halls and arenas, who owned recording studios, record labels and radio stations gave the Replacements a platform to ply their art and take their shot at fame and fortune.


Capitalism is not just for the rich, powerful, ambitious or “greedy”.  Because of Capitalism, these go-getters open the door to the good life for the great unwashed including myself, garage rockers and slacker punks everywhere.


Subscribe to the 2 Percenter blog by going to http://feedage.com  and entering 2percentpov into the Search box on top -choose your favorite reader.

Go back to:  2 Percenter Home      Article Archive
 Connect through:
Facebook     Twitter     E-mail     

OnFire Radio Show
Streaming  on Hamiltonradio.net


"Half the people are stoned and the other half are waiting for the next election.
Half the people are drowned and the other half are swimming in the wrong direction."
Paul Simon




No comments:

Post a Comment